Sunday, April 14, 2013

In Honor of National Poetry Month...




Did you know that April is National Poetry Month?
In addition to other important awareness days, giving recognition to the art of poetry is important.
Poetry enriches. It tells a story.
It has the ability to "speak" to people of all different races, religions, and walks of life.

Who hasn't been touched by the words of Elizabeth Barrett Browning? Or moved by the works of Maya Angelou?

With this is mind, here are a few selections for your reading pleasure today. Hope you enjoy!


STILL HERE

I've been scarred and battered.
My hopes the wind done scattered.
Snow has friz me, sun has baked me.

Looks like between 'em
They done tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'--
But I don't care!
I'm still here!

Langston Hughes


LOOKED BACK OVER MY LIFE YESTERDAY...
 
Looked back over my life yesterday,
Looked at the girl, stared at the woman,
Smiled at her joy, lived again her pain.
 
Saw a crisis, stepped over it.
Her pain soothed by tears,
There were never enough.
Stop wasting time; she say to herself
Got a man-child to raise.
 
Nowhere to turn, what do I do?
Hell, how will I do it?  She moans again.
 
Saw that man-child reaching up,
Making his way with her,
Trust she gave him the right tools.
 
Don't know, she thinks,
Then, drinks just a little more.
 
Yeah, I looked back over my life yesterday,
Remembered the tears, the fears, the trials.
 
See, she's grown rounder, and wiser
Don't know how, never stopped
To see it coming; had a man-child ta' raise.
 
Rent ta' pay, and demons to fight.
Child callin', job callin' man callin',
She drinks just a little more,
 
Looked back at my life yesterday,
Now lookin back's not so bad.
 
Can see the whole picture now.
See teachers, struggles,
Found hope out of prayer
Moved forward assured.
Climbed out of potholes, tamed fears
Enemies slain, loves won,
No more man-child to raise;
For now he's a man.
 
Looked back at my life yesterday,
See me now, well worn, and fulfilled.

VICKI WARD

Vicki Ward
Excerpted from Life's Spices From Seasoned Sistahs


No comments:

Post a Comment